While it is true that AOL Mail provides unbeatable mailing service. However, at times, a user may want to delete AOL Email Account for some reason. As such, they should first understand all aspects of their choice and then make an informed decision.
AOL Mail is available both as free webmail and a paid service with AOL internet plans. Hence, you can easily close the free version from the dashboard of your email account. However, paid users must understand that they cannot delete AOL email account alone. They can do this only by closing the entire AOL account. This means they will lose access to all AOL services including AIM (AOL Instant Messenger). Moreover, your “Contacts” and “Emails” will be permanently deleted after 3 months. In short, you will not be able to recover them after that.
Therefore, it is advised to consider the following pre-requisites before going for this option.
- Take a backup of important contacts, emails, documents etc. as you will no longer be able to access them.
- Ensure that this email is not associated with your bank or other important places. If required, first replace it before deleting this account.
- In addition to this, change this AOL email if it is linked with any social media account.
- Besides that, clear any pending dues and unsubscribe if it is linked with any paid subscriptions.
How To Delete An AOL Email Account?
- First of all, open a Web Browser on your computer.
- Then, go to “aol.com” to delete AOL Email Account.
- Now, click on “Login/ Join” from the top right-hand corner of this window.
- Next, you should enter your registered “Email Address” or “User ID”. Then, click “Next”.
- Thereafter, type in the corresponding AOL “Password” and click on “Sign In”. However, in case if you have forgotten your password or can’t access your account. Then, you will not be able to delete AOL Email Account. As such, you should first reset your password and then log in to your account.
- After that, look at the top right-hand corner of this window for the “Options” link. Now, click on it to expand it.
- Subsequently, click on “My Account” to open the Account Information page.
- As a result, it will open a new window. Here, you should scroll down and locate the “Accounts Option” section.
- Underneath it, click on the “And more” link.
- Subsequently, it will display your “Security Question”. Hence, enter your “Secret Answer” and click “Continue”. However, it will not allow you to proceed without it. Hence, if you don’t remember it. Then, click on “Forgotten the AOL security question and answer?” link. Thereafter, retrieve the same by following the on-screen prompts.
- Now, look under the “Service Options” section. Here, you should click on the “Manage My Subscriptions” link.
- The following window will display the details of your current “AOL Plan”. Here, you should click on the “Change Plan” link.
- As a result, a pop-up box will appear on your screen. Hence, select “I already have a High-Speed Connection”. Then, click “View Plans”.
- The following window displays the details of your current plan. Here, you should click on “Cancel”.
- Thereafter, it will provide all the services/benefits that you will lose once you delete AOL Email Account.
- Finally, scroll down to the very bottom. It will prompt you to provide the reason for cancellation. Hence, click on the drop-down box and select an appropriate reason.
- Then, click on the “Cancel AOL” button to delete AOL Email Account.
Hence, you should refer to these guidelines if you want to know “How To Delete An AOL Email Account?” Another key point to remember is that you will immediately lose access to your data and services. However, it will take around 72 hours to remove the account.